Google yesterday unveiled their own YouTube app for iOS devices. Since Apple announced that they would be discontinuing the default YouTube app when iOS 6 hits devices, Google’s been busy getting their own version of the app ready and now you can now download it from the App Store.
For users on the iPhone and iPod, the experience the app provides is a huge improvement over the older version. The app is not yet fully optimized for the iPad viewing experience, but I’m sure Google’s going to improve that in the near future.
- Safe Search Filtering option to restrict search results. A very useful option if you’re handing you iPad to your kids. The older Apple version of the YouTube app completely missed this feature.
- Easy Left swipe from the home or video screen to quickly access the menu. Easy navigation of video categories from the menu as well.
- Log in and link your Google account with the app to subscribe to channels,comment on videos and access your subscriptions at any time.
- Easily search for your favourite videos with voice search and query autocomplete
- Easy video sharing to Google+, E-mail, Facebook and Twitter
Scope for improvement?
Yeah, certainly! The major features missing in this release:
- The lack of iPad support
- Airplay support also seems to be missing, and the app requires mirroring of the display to play on TV.
- The “Mostly Offline” feature which the Android version has is missing in this version of the iOS app.
Screenshots from YouTube
Click on the images below to view the larger version.