Huawei Ideos: Affordably FroYo’d
Here are the specs:
- Android 2.2 (FroYo). Stock build with No custom skin.
- 2.8″ QVGA (320×240) Capacitive display
- 3.2 MP A/f Camera, no flash
- HSDPA, WiFi, 3G Hotspot
- No Adobe Flash (Adobe had commented earlier saying that not all FroYo devices will support flash)
The device should cost around $175 contract free, which is about Rs 8900. So you get one FroYo device, with Huawei’s promise to role out updates at the earliest (which is why they worked with Google to create the Ideaos; like the Nexus One, you should get updates at the earliest).
Finally, good affordable android devices, not stuck on some old version of the OS! Can’t wait for this to come out!
We have no word yet on pricing or availability in India, so stay tuned, we’ll let you know as soon as we find out.
Do catch us on twitter, we’re @myportableworld.
From the Press Release:
“Huawei Launches World’s First Affordable Smartphone with Google Called IDEOS
September 2, 2010
• Huawei announced the launch of IDEOS, the world’s first affordable smartphone, developed in partnership with Google.
• IDEOS is priced between US$100 and US$200, depending on the market, and comes with Android 2.2 pre-installed.
• Redefines the “entry-level” concept by combining high-quality hardware and software with a low price point.
• Will be released in a number of countries across Europe, Asia-Pacific, North America, and Latin America.
• Provides a variety of ways to access the internet, as it boasts downlink speeds of more than 7.2Mb/s, offers WCDMA + WiFi dual network support, and offers ubiquitous mobile broadband services.
• Doubles as a WiFi router for up to eight devices at a time, making IDEOS an all-in-one solution for a range of wireless connectivity options.
• Available in black, yellow, blue, and purple.
• Supports functions such as voice dialing, voice navigation, and the ability to run applications off the SD card. With more than 70,000 applications available in the Android Market, IDEOS provides a wide range of communication, entertainment, and office and financial management applications.
• The name “IDEOS” embodies creativity and inspiration: the “ID” represents the industrial design-centric hardware platform, the “OS” represents the operating system as the core software platform, and the “E” symbolizes the evolution toward the mobile internet.
Attributed to Kevin Tao, CEO of Huawei Device
“The popularity of the smartphone is one of the key tools to bringing people into the ‘Golden Age of Mobile Broadband,’ which is linked to Google’s mobile Internet strategy.
“We are proud to have already achieved our goal from early 2010 of developing a US$150 smartphone with an excellent user experience. The IDEOS is an affordable option, designed to lower barriers to entry to allow easy mobile Internet access.”
Huawei is a leader in providing next generation telecommunications networks, and now serves over one billion users worldwide. The company is committed to providing innovative and customized products, services and solutions to create long-term value and growth potential for its customers.
Huawei Device provides a wide range of products, including mobile broadband devices, handsets, convergence devices, and video solutions. Huawei Device is dedicated to being a trusted partner for operators, helping them meet their subscribers’ diversified needs by providing a rich variety of network terminals. Through the end of 2009, Huawei Device products have been chosen by more than 470 operators around the world. Huawei Device is a strategic partner of a number of the world’s top operators including Vodafone, T-Mobile, BT, and Telefónica”