The Samsung GT-i5700 is truly a remarkable phone, cheap yet powerful, small yet versatile; in short ‘Kick Ass’ !
After the 2.1 update, when Samsung came out with the news that there would be no Froyo update for the Spica, i was crushed, we all were ….
A few days later after exhaustive googling, i finally found a forum dedicated to only the Spica, making custom mods and lots of new stuff !
This was Samdroid, a community of Android devs releasing amazing mods with the latest features.
The incredible guys at Samdroid led by @LeshaK (Do forgive me if i leave out someone important!) recently came out with a Samdroid Kitchen mod where you can select the components you want from the Kitchen and cook your own Samdroid mod !
Recently another member on Samdroid – Gabriel-LG came out with his version of Multitouch drivers for the Spica which was soon built built into the kernel available for download from the Kitchen ! In fact, they even have an experimental Froyo mod available for download !
Follow these steps to install a custom Samdroid mod with Multitouch drivers on your Spica !
WARNING – THIS METHOD CAN BE DANGEROUS AND RISKY AND WE TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU END UP BRICKING YOUR PHONE, VOIDING YOUR WARRANTY etc.
For those of you running original firmware or firmware other than Samdroids,
- I assume that by now you are running Android 2.1 with any firmware form JC3 onwards
- Odin Multi Downloader v4.03.exe and spica.ops Download from here
- Spica drivers. If you have the Samsung New PC Studio, just install the software and connect your phone after the installation. This should take care of all the drivers, but make sure that NPC is not running when you are flashing yourSpica ! Same for those of you with KIES. If you still don’t have the drivers, you can download it from here.
- You need to be running a Rooted Kernel with Recovery. To do this, you need to download “i5700_LK2-08_PDA.7z” from here or here.
- You need the Multitouch Kernel from SamdroidMod Kitchen v.2. Go to this link, select “Light Package” -> “Kernel [LK2.09.6 (Upd SamdroidTools -> Multitouch on/off)” -> Cook (You can add other stuff from the options if you want as well). This will give you a Samdroid mod zip file.
- Make sure your Spica is fully charged
Now follow the instructions below –
- Back up all your data and switch off your phone.
- Remove the μSD card and copy the Samdroid zip file you cooked from SamdroidMod Kitchen v.2. to the root folder of the μSD Card (Don’t forget to backup your data first!). Insert the μSD card back into the phone.
- While your Spica is turned off, hold “Volume Down”, “Camera” and “End Call”. This will cause your phone to enter into download/flash mode.
- Run Odin Multi Downloader v4.03.exe (You need to “Run As Administrator” for Win7 and Vista)
- Click on OPS and select the spica.ops file that came with Odin Multi Downloader v4.03.exe (Should show as 85 bytes)
- Click on PDA and select “i5700_LK2-08_PDA.tar” (Extracted from “i5700_LK2-08_PDA.7z”). You may need to click Reset Files once before Odin will clear previous settings.
- Now, connect the Spica to your PC. (The first box will show up yellow and the message box will now show the “Added” and “Detected”)
- Click Start. Wait for the flash to finish until the following screen appears. The device will reboot during this time and enter recovery mode. To be safe, wait for the process to finish entirely, which shall be indicated by a ‘PASS’ replacing the ‘RESET’ message.
- The recovery mode will look something like this and have a bunch of options.
- Select “Apply any zip from SD card“
- Select the Samdroid zip file obtained from the kitchen which you copied onto your μSD card.
- It will ask you fo confirmation to install – Press the Home key. After it completes select the first option (Reboot) and restart the phone (This will take a while, so be patient. Could take up to 10 minutes)
- The device will reboot once more and that’s it: you have successfully rooted your Spica, installed Samdroids custom rom with a Multitouch Kernel. Go to Settings > About Phone on your device and scroll down to verify the new kernel.
- Select the App drawer(Main Menu) and run “Samdroid Tools”, check if the Multitouch option is there and unchecked.
- Test the Multitouch on Google Maps or on Gallery 3d(Does not work on the old Gallery!)
- This ROM gives you not only Multitouch but also root, wifi-tether, recovery, Apps2SD and quite a few new features. Be sure to check them all out on the Samdroid forum!
Congratulation (I Hope) !! you are now running a Samdroid Custom ROM with Multitouch and lots of other goodies !!!
Now that you have Multitouch on your Spica, you might want to try a CyanogenMod firmware based on Android 2.2 (Froyo) from HERE.
NOTE– You might need to be registered with Samdroid to look into their forums or download some files.