Samsung Galaxy 3 & 5 in India: Hello Cheap Android!!
Once again, thanks to Fonearena, we have news that two more low end Android handsets are available in India. This time, they come courtesy Samsung. We’re talking about the Galaxy 3 & 5 here of course!
Lets start with the more expensive of the pair, the Galaxy 3.
- Display – 3.2″ WQVGA (240×400) TFT LCD
- Android 2.1 with TouchWiz 3.o
- 3MP Camera with A/F (No Flash), QVGA video recording (15fps)
- AGPS, WiFi (802.11 b/g/n), Bluetooth 3.0
- 170MB inbuilt Memory, upto 32GB MicroSD cards Supported
- ARM11 CPU @ 667MHz
The reported price for the Galaxy 3 is around Rs.12,000. Sounds like a really good deal. Fonearena went hands on with it, and you can view some of their shots here.
Now onto the cheaper one, the Galaxy 5.
Galaxy 5 Specs:
- Display – 2.8″ QVGA (320×240) TFT LCD
- Android 2.1 with TouchWiz 3.0
- 2MP Camera (no A/F)
- Bluetooth 2.1, WiFi b/g (No AGPS, no WiFi n)
- Qualcomm MSM7227-1 CPU @ 600MHz
The Galaxy 5 should retail at around Rs. 9000, so it will be the cheapest Android phone! And unlike the previous cheapest Android phone, the Acer beTouch E110, this one comes kitted with a later version of the OS, and brings a lot more to the table (or your palm). Again, Fonearena went hands on with this too, and you can view the photos here.
Fonearena reports that both these phones should be available at retailers within the week!
Samsung seems to have got its smartphone act together, with a series of very competitively priced phones. It looks like the other major Android handset players, like Motorola & HTC, have either forgotten that India exists and is a very big market, lacking Android devices, or they don’t care. We don’t see the latest phones here, and when we do, they’re priced obscenely high! Good on you Samsung. Keep it up.