Smarter Mobiles with the Nokia Situations App
Make your phone a little more smarter by making the phone behave differently in different situations. The team at Nokia Beta labs have brought out a beta version of a software called Nokia Situations which help you do that.
You can define “situations”, which are like your phone profiles, like “At home”, “At office”, “In a Meeting” or “Sleeping” and define a set of actions to take place in each of the situations. For example, you can set your phone’s profile to “silent” and power saving mode when you are “Sleeping”. Turn off the ringer and auto answer calls with an SMS while you are in a meeting. Change the theme on the phone when you get home. The possibilities are endless.
Now you can define how each of these situations are triggered. For example you can set the “At Home” and “At Office” situations to trigger based on GSM or GPS locations. You can also trigger the “Sleeping” situation based on time, and the “In a Meeting” one to trigger based on an active Calendar event.
What else can you change, here’s the list from the Nokia Beta Labs’ site:
- Change Ringtones, make the phone go silent or louder, turn vibra on/off, and all the other profile settings.
- Answer missed calls with SMS. Especially when you set your phone to silent, you can also make it reply to missed calls, from contacts in your phonebook, with a pre-defined SMS.
- Save Power. Not using phone for a while, like when sleeping? Turn Bluetooth on/off or let your phone change to power-saving mode totally.
- Change UI theme / Wallpaper. Want to make the phone look different in different situations? Change the Theme during free time vs. when you are at work.
- Open a Web bookmark or application. Want to see weather forecast for the day when you wake up? Look at the calendar as first thing? Or open your favorite TV show discussion page at show time? Or perhaps change the Device Mode when at work?
Sounds interesting? Head over to the Nokia Situations page on Nokia Beta Labs and download the app for your phone. I have to add a quick disclaimer, since this app is an experimental app, it may not work properly. I’ve installed and setup this app on my N8, and so far it’s working like a charm. My friend running an E71 was unable to get it running on his phone though, so go try your luck.
Here’s Roope Tassberg from Nokia Beta Labs telling you about this app.